Thursday, May 3, 2012

Writing: Hope, Focus, Perseverance

Audrey Niffenegger, author of Time Traveler's Wife, sent out 25 agent queries before landing an agent.

I don't fancy myself at her level of writing, so I am prepared for the reality that finding a home for my first book may take forever, literally.  While I'm researching agents with similar authors and small publishers accepting manuscripts, I'm also anxious to start writing again.  Writing is the fun part.

My next book already lives inside my head and I'm obsessed.  It's very different than my first.  Darker, more developed.  This time, I plan to thoroughly brainstorm the characters backgrounds before I begin.  I'm excited to see my writing grow.

Last time, in the heat of 50,000 words in one month, (under Nanowrimo's tutelage), I knew where I wanted to go, but I didn't stop to plan along the way.  In some ways this was wonderful.  It got me past the first couple of chapters, where I usually get stuck.  It also surprised me as the plot unfolded, allowing me to live in the story like a reader instead of just following an outline.   

I've tried to outline write before, it didn't work for me.  I had fun writing the outline and then lost interest when it was time to write the middle chapters.  

Do you have a writing process that works best for you?  

I enjoy hearing how other people write.  I relate a lot to Audrey Niffenegger.  She wrote Time Traveler's Wife for herself, for the enjoyment of writing, in her moments between doing other things.  I could not help but note that she's older than I am.  This gives me hope that I can craft myself into a distinguished writer over time.

Now, all I need is a mantra...



2 comments:

regina_janelle said...

Hooray for mantras!!!! :)

You inspire me more than you know friend!

Anonymous said...

I write a little then start a new project. Then I come back to it. Then it starts over and over ago. So many projects. That's probably why they're all unfinished =)