Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy May Day: Let's Bring Back the 40 Hour Work Week!


Life is so much happier when we spend 8 hours a day at work.  The days that I leave school at 3:30 feel so much more complete.  I have time for a nap, yoga, writing, walking the dog, and spending time with my husband-- all in one evening!

However, 3:30 days are rare.  And, I know I'm not alone.  Eight hour days were uncommon at my old job.  Friends all complain of being overworked.  Companies blame the recession.  A recent media debate exploded around whether people have to be parents to justify leaving work at 6:00.

I know that I'm lucky.  If I plan my time right, I can leave at 3:30 some days.  As a teacher, I also get breaks.  But, I sacrifice pay for these luxuries.

In honor of May Day, I proclaim my support of a societal shift back to the 8-hour workday!  Call me a Marxist, but we could all use a little more life in our life!


2 comments:

LizM said...

Completely and totally agree.

Tanya Leigh said...

Seriously!!! It's all become too much. I'm even in favor of the 32 hour work week :D.