Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Mixed Emotions of Sunday

Each week, Sunday brings mixed emotions for me.  My job as a teacher can be all-consuming, so Sunday reminds me that it's time to gear back up and get ready for the week to come.  It requires grading, planning, and refocusing to minimize my stress during the week.  It is also the day that I visit my family and attempt to catch up on my book.  Writing is requiring a lot of patience because I have so little time to do it and so much desire to lose myself in it...  Not to mention grocery shopping or making sure that our house is clean for the week!

In short, Sunday is full.

I know that life is full too, not just Sundays, but for whatever reason Sundays often feel like the fullest day of the week.  I find myself trying to cram everything that I want to accomplish into Sundays because the week days are monopolized by teaching and Saturday is the day that I let myself relax, do less, and generally spend my time with Alex, (since it's the only day off of the week that we share).

I want to learn how to achieve more balance while also holding onto all of my priorities.  I guess prioritizing is a part of life, I just wish that I had time for everything!  What a lovely world it would be if I could get everything done that I need to be a good teacher, have plenty of time to write my book, keep a clean house, get enough exercise, and still have enough time for my friends, family, and Alex.  I can't even imagine what it feels like when you add children into the equation.  I guess your priorities shift.  

For now I just want to figure out how to fit all of my priorities into the picture!  I think that is why Sunday is bittersweet for me; I have so many things that I want to do with this one precious day and only 12 hours or so to do them!  I'm sure that there is some Zen teaching that would help me about now, but no time to look-- happily off to the next Sunday priority but also sad to be putting my writing away for the day!


2 comments:

Tanya Leigh said...

p.s. I get Sunday depression, how do we find a way around this?? It's hard for me to fully enjoy the day knowing the weekend is coming to a close.

Tanya Leigh said...

Oops, first comment didn't post, but I think you should add a "subscribe by email" gadget to your page so I don't miss out on your posts :)