Monday, January 9, 2012

Kettle Corn, Sparkly Shoes, and Being a Little Girl

Early this evening I found myself sitting on my kitchen counter, eating a bag of kettle corn.  Let me be specific, when I say eating a bag of kettle corn, I don't mean a handful.  Likewise, when I describe myself as sitting on the counter, I was fully on the counter, like feet extended out on the counter, not just casually leaning against it.  I did not even bother to take my jacket off.  I just came in, sat on the counter, and ate kettle corn, sulking.  This may all seem trivial, but for those of you that know me, I routinely attempt to eat no sugar and the act of sitting on the counter gorging myself in it was pure rebellion.  I was acting like a small child.

It took my phone ringing to realize that I was pouting.  Pouting about a bad end to my afternoon and an overwhelmed moment of stress, I was having a moment.  Which brings me to here and now.  I've decided that 2012 is the year that I'm finally ready to shed my pouty baby self and be done with her.    You would think that by 28 I would be well past that phase, but I still have my moments.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that I looked a lot like many of my fourth graders, sitting there throwing popcorn at the dog and feeling sorry for myself.

Somehow, all of this makes me think about something that I said last week to another teacher, "The secret to happiness is sparkly shoes."  Wearing a new pair of Toms with threading that sparkle, I walked around in a good mood all week, smiling when I noticed that I was wearing sparkly shoes.  Upon discussing my happy mood I decided that it HAD to be the shoes.  I felt like a little girl.  The simple things, I tell you, the simple things!  Apparently the child inside of me is not all bad.

I leave you with this cute child for no other reason than that her picture made me smile.  I found her when googling sparkly Toms and wished that I could be as stylish as she is...  I could not find my shoes, (I kept getting the crazy sequin ones!), but trust me, they'd make you smile too.  I guess that growing up is finding the balance between letting the pouty child go and keeping the one that is still full of wonder about the simple things, like sparkly shoes and kettle corn.


4 comments:

TheXander said...

Two things:
First, I love pouty Olivia.
Second, you can always just take a picture of your shoes and upload them...

Chloe said...

The pouty little girl lives in all women and while shedding her sounds appealing, it might be impossible. The pouty little girl is the same girl that loves sparkly shoes, fluffy little dogs, and wind in in her hair. If you lose her, you lose a lot of good stuff too. I think pouting is highly underrated anyway. It is a lot less obnoxious than throwing a fit. :)

Unknown said...

Love it Chloe! :D (I've moved past the fit stage, generally ;)

Tanya Leigh said...

This is my new favorite post of yours!! So cute. It's true, what I wear (particularly on my feet) can totally change my mood. I need to get me some of these sparkly shoes.