Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blog Advice... Blogvice?

I'm reading a pretty cool book, The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published.  When I first heard the title from another aspiring author, I thought that it sounded useful, but bland, the last stop on my journey to finishing my book.  Instead, I've discovered it to be much more entertaining than I expected.  And, in exchange for purchasing the book, I now have a twenty minute "consultation" with its authors, the Book Doctors.

You would think that I would be all over this opportunity, but instead I had to talk myself into actually submitting the request.  The voice in my head kept saying, "It's too early," "You're not ready to talk to anyone about your book," "Is your book even good?" Even in a situation that has very little potential of yielding anything, I find myself afraid of failure, which is why I sucked it up, and made the appointment.  Kind of the story of my life.  Anxiety.  Suck it up and do it anyway.

One of my takeaways so far from their book is that I need to develop some sort of web presence for myself, somewhere to hang my writing hat, so to speak.  So far, my blog has just been a place where I muse about anything and everything, (happiness, travel, writing, teaching...), but they recommend limiting blog subjects to attract and maintain an audience.  I can see what they're saying, but I also have a hard time devoting myself to just one theme... I love having a space that I can write about anything, audience or not.  And, no, a journal would not serve the same purpose!

What do you think?  You read my blog.  Would you rather I picked one theme and stuck with it?  I know that it's a bit of a biased sampling since you're undoubtedly reading this because you actually know me, but I am still curious of your thoughts.  Better if I only wrote about writing, traveling, teaching, or happiness?  Or, keep this blog and start another one that only has one focus for the goal of establishing myself as a writer?

***

On a random side note, and further underlining my inability to focus on just one idea, check out this movie trailer.  I found it extremely thought-provoking about the still-present need for feminism in our society.  Watch for the Fox News guy that says that women should not be president because of PMS.  He should be forced to live on an island without any women!:


Miss Representation 8 min. Trailer 8/23/11 from Miss Representation on Vimeo.

1 comment:

TheXander said...

Personally I like your ramblings. Maybe a middle of the road compromise is you can create a short story tab to focus on writing excerpts. I know I am not alone in wanting more writing from you!