Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Thank Goodness

I'm afraid to say it but I'm finally starting to feel back to normal again, like I can do this and I like children.  I'm afraid to say it because I do not want to jinx it!

Today I realized that I'm starting to fall in love with my students.  I fell in love with my students last year, which is an odd feeling.  You just suddenly find yourself really caring about them, even when they're challenging, or maybe especially when they're challenging.  I felt twinges of it this weekend when I missed them a little, but today I actually realized that I'm beginning to know them and like them.  That sounds odd because you expect people that work with children to like the kids automatically, and even though I do conceptually, it takes me a little time to truly care about them as individuals.  Today reminded me of the feeling that makes me like being a teacher.  Hopefully, the more that I get to know my students, the more I will go home with this feeling.

Yesterday, a student came out of nowhere and wrapped her arms around me and told me that I'm her favorite teacher.  Every teacher knows that you only get to be the favorite teacher while the student is in your class.  But that's beside the point, if nothing else, at least the universe still finds a way to remind us that what we're doing matters to someone.

:)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

YAY! That's really rewarding. I can see how teaching would be such a great job and you have always been caring and compassionate and I can picture you being great with those kids :)