Monday, April 2, 2012

Anticipation...


Anticipation is a funny piece of happiness.

Lately, when I am feeling the most stressed in my classroom, I've just closed my eyes and reminded myself that summer is just two months away.  For the briefest second, I allow my thoughts to slip off to everything that summer holds.  Pool parties, warm evenings, time to write.  I remind myself that I get to go to Kauai, too.  Then I smile, and I'm fine again.

Anticipation is pretty wonderful.

I remember being a kid and marking my happiness by what I had to look forward to.  It was always a letdown when my short-windowed calendar ran out of good stuff in the foreseeable future.  Thankfully, that's the coolest part of being an adult-- I can always find something to add to my calendar, even if it's just making time to go out with friends or planning a weekend escape.

We're pushed to believe that anticipation is not as valuable as being present in the moment, but if it makes us happy, what difference does it make?  Can't we find happiness in the moment by thinking about the future?  Our large frontal lobes exist for a reason.  We're planners by nature.  According to one study, we actually derive great happiness from planning a trip, (eight weeks worth!).

As such, I think it is okay to revel in the excitement of what is to come.  Why not take pleasure in this simple act?


Tonight, I'm letting myself savor the thought of a warm Hawaiian beach, a cold Piña Colada, and the soft sand between my toes.



1 comment:

regina_janelle said...

You can do it! I believe in you!

(And don't forget, you're an AMAZING teacher!!!)