Sunday, November 20, 2011

Abandoned Blogs

When I started blogging back in July, I had trouble finding a blog url that was not taken.  I eventually settled on a truncated version of today is the best day of my life, todaybestlife.  Adequate, but not my first choice, it reminds me more of a segment on Good Morning America than the place where I keep my musings on life.

Tempted to find myself a different url, I tried typing in some of the prefixes that I like and discovered a veritable graveyard of abandoned blogs.  I find this irritating to discover that so many good blog names are wasted, but also fascinating, like stumbling across forgotten time capsules.  The first one I tried had been abandoned for nearly ten years!  I did not even know what a blog was in 2002.  I was a senior in high school.

http://luckylife.blogspot.com/

Amused, I tried two more, which also proved abandoned.  It makes me wonder how many are out there.  Millions, I suspect.  I invite you to try your own favorite prefixes and see what you get.  I was hoping to stumble across like-minded blogs that maybe I'd like to follow.  Instead, I found abandoned blog after abandoned blog, reminding me of how often we start projects and quickly lose interest.

This one was actually the most interesting to me:

http://luckyday.blogspot.com/

Someone started a luckiness experiment involving a crucifix and disappeared from the blog world after merely four days.  Outcome unlucky, perhaps?  I know, I know, my insinuation is creepy and unwarranted, I apologize.

At any rate, peeking into other people's abandoned blog projects is an interesting reflection on human nature and life in general.  May we all find projects that keep us happy and engaged!

Happy Sunday!

PS.  I think this is becoming an obsession, almost every blog prefix I try is abandoned...

olivia.blogspot.com
(my last name).blogspot.com (trying to protect my identity a little bit ;)
oliviaelizabeth.blogspot.com
wanderlust.blogspot.com
happylife.blogspot.com
happynow.blogspot.com
luckyheart.blogspot.com
The
List
Goes
On
And
On

So far, of all the prefixes I've tried, only one has led to an active blog.  Maybe dead blogs should have a shelf life and then be thrown out so that others may claim their names?!

2 comments:

TheXander said...

Thanks for not using my blog as an example :)

Unknown said...

Haha, your's does not count as abandoned yet, I think there is a 12-month grace period ;)